1.5lbs to 2lbs Oxtail
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- Trim oxtail fat. If desired, boil pot of water and place oxtail in to remove additional fat.
- Mix ingredients in pot. Place oxtail in pot.
- Add enough cold water to cover meat.
- Bring to a boil. Then turn down to get slow simmer and cover. Probably 3-4 on stove. I use chopsticks to prop lid open. Braise for 2 to 2.5 hrs.
1. Where to buy oxtail?
- Kukje Supermarket (Korean) in Daly City ($7.99/lb). My number two choice.
- Costco: They have two types; one Kirkland and some other one. 3.99 per pound
- Drewes Bros (http://www.drewesbros.com/) – I like these the best. He said they were free range. Not sure if partially grass fed or not. You should call ahead since they may not have in stock. They can order. You order by the pound ($5/lb).
- Ranch 99. I think it’s either $3.99 or $4.99 per pound.
- Prather Ranch(http://prmeatco.com/mission.html): 100% grass-fed. The meat was too lean to be tender like the others. It did taste good though.
2. Pot should fit oxtail snugly. Too large a pot and risk drying out oxtail.
3. Check to make sure you have a nice slow simmer. Too fast and you will risk drying out the meat. Add a little water if it’s evaporating too fast. Too slow and your sauce will be too watery and take longer to cook.
4. Recipe should work if you add more oxtail. I made it with 4lbs oxtail using this recipe.